Monday, August 20, 2012

the in-between

Today I was going back through some of my previous posts and realized that I skipped a lot of things that happened between my post in June and the wedding weekend post that I recently did. Oops. I will still do a wedding post later on, but I'll use this opportunity to catch you up on the happenings of the Michaels between early June and now. 

We spent the last few weeks of June packing. I was so nervous that something was going to affect the closing date on the house. We had a little bit of leeway, our apartment lease wasn't up  until July 14, but we REALLY wanted to be in our house. I can't tell you how difficult it was to go visit our house knowing that we had to leave it to go back to the apartment. 

About 3 days before we were set to close, Jason called me from work. Now, throughout this entire summer (and since December really) I have been applying/searching for a job. Ever since my job at school ended, Jason has been paying for everything. It makes me feel terrible and like a huge burden, and I stressed (well, still stress) a lot about money and finances. On this particular day that Jason called me I had just received a few rejection emails from employers and was feeling particularly down. He sounded really upbeat which was unusual because usually when he's at work he sounds stressed, or at very least, neutral. He told me that he had gotten a promotion that came with a pay raise. I immediately started to cry uncontrollably, which had to really confuse Jason because he'd just given me this amazing news. But I was crying because I was happy, because this promotion had come at a time when we could really use the extra money. I also knew that Jason had been working really hard and really and truly deserved this and was glad that someone was finally recognizing his efforts. :-)

We closed on the house as scheduled on June 28 (a Thursday). We had a little bit of drama while we were at the title company because they were trying to rush us in reading our contract. Our appointment had been scheduled for 4pm, but due to another family in front of us being delayed, we were pushed back to 5 pm. As we were reading every page (and yes, we did) I could tell that the woman signing everything for the company was uncomfortable. She kept saying "oh, you don't need to read that, it just says ....blah". We tried to be polite and explained that we were sorry, but that we'd be reading every page. Eventually she left the room and brought in her supervisor who told us that we were welcome to take home all of the paperwork to read and that we could come back tomorrow to turn it in and get all of their necessary signatures. I looked at Jason and could tell that he was anxious. I also knew that they were just trying to get us out of the office because it was closely approaching 6 pm and they probably all wanted to get home. Instead of leaving, I said, "No, we are staying right here until we've read and signed everything. We are getting our keys tonight and not tomorrow. I apologize that it's so late, but you pushed back our appointment one hour, so this really isn't our fault." I could tell that both women were shocked at what I'd said. After again trying to convince us to leave, they eventually gave up and let us stay. I'm really glad I stuck with my gut, because we caught 3 mistakes in the contract, one of which being a mistake in the mortgage payment. 
For anyone buying a home in the near future, don't let anyone pressure you into not reading everything. You have the right to read every word. And once you sign, that's it, so don't let anything go. 
Anyway, we got our keys and moved in that weekend. We love our new home. It's a lot more work, but we don't care. We love it. 

We spent the next few weeks at Home Depot. HA! But seriously, we did a lot of yard work and a lot of "home improvement". Thank goodness for wedding money. We had everything unpacked fairly quickly, but we are still getting everything right where we want it. All we had left to do was wait until the wedding. Which of course, we did. 

Tune in next time for the wedding!

-Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment