Wednesday, April 18, 2012

no longer the road to a thesis

I am a terrible blogger. 


But really, there's not much to blog about these days. 


School updates: 
Last Friday was my thesis presentation and it went surprisingly well. I am glad that it's over and done with completely. Graduation is in two weeks and I have a week and a half of classes left. I have mostly been spending my time grading the massive amount of assignments that are due this week and next in the class I TA. I can't believe how quickly these past two years have flown by. It amazes me to think that I've spent the past 6 years in higher education. I've met some of the most amazing people and had some wonderful experiences. I can only hope that the next chapter of my life in the "real world" is equally as fulfilling. 


Wedding updates:
Not much is new since last time. We have our food tasting coming up on Friday (yum!) and my second dress fitting is Saturday. I'm excited to put on my dress again. I feel all giddy when I wear it. We also got our guest favors in the mail earlier this week. I am looking forward to you all seeing them! For now I will keep them a secret :-)
102 days to go!


Life updates:
My advisor was able to pull some strings to keep me employed through the end of May. I still have no prospects after that. I've applied for close to 90 jobs now and have yet to have one single interview. It is really hard not to be despondent and depressed about it. If it weren't for the wedding coming up and my impending marriage, I'd feel like my life had no direction at all. 
I'm really trying to stay positive but it gets harder with each day that passes without word. I think about all the things I want to do and how very few of them seem achievable if I'm not working in some capacity. My loans are my biggest concern. Come November I've got to start paying on them. Can't very well make payments without an income. 
We're kind of on the fence about where we'll be living after July. Our lease is up 2 weeks before the wedding and we can't seem to come to a conclusive decision as to what we want to do. On one hand, we'd love to have a house and a yard and a place to call our own, plus it's a buyers market, but on the other, with only one income as a possibility, owning a home may not be financially feasible. I keep thinking that maybe I should just stay in school. Then I remind myself how difficult and stressful graduate school has been. Could I really do that again for 3 more years (at least)? Yikes. 
Please don't get me wrong, I love my life and I know how incredibly fortunate I am to have the things I have. I guess I just need to keep reminding myself of that fact. 


Hope I didn't leave this on too depressing of a note. 


Until we meet again,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment